Why does GME develop and operate wind power projects? What are some of the benefits of wind energy?
- Electricity produced from the wind is clean and renewable.
- Wind turbine technology harnesses a free and naturally available resource.
- Wind generation diversifies the national and regional energy mix.
- In Central America, the trade winds are most active during the dry season, when many hydroelectric projects (the most common renewable technology) face water shortages.
- Traditional fossil fuel generation emits CO2 and other damaging gases into the environment.
- As wind energy does not consume water during the generation process, it also helps preserve scarce water resources.
- Wind farm development helps to support local employment during the construction, operations and maintenance phases.
- Wind power provides additional revenue to landowners in the wind farm area through lease payments, while the land can continue to be used for farming, livestock grazing or other uses.